My Crispy Keto Chicken Schnitzel is my absolute new favorite recipe on the blog. It’s super easy and is really so comforting in a healthy and filling way. Serve it with a easy side salad or your favorite veggies and you have the perfect healthy meal!
WHAT IS A CHICKEN SCHNITZEL?
Schnitzel is similar to chicken fried steak and comes from Germany. Even though “chicken schnitzel” is the most common, you can also use other meat versions such as veil and pork.
Pounding a piece of meat until it’s thing and tender and then lightly coating that meat in a egg wash and then coating in a flour mixture and quickly pan-frying is called “schnitzel.”
Schnitzel is most often served with warm potato salad, but it can also be served simply with a bed of greens and a lemon for squeezing onto the meat just before eating.
COOK IN THE AIR FRYER OR ON THE STOVETOP
You can cook this chicken on the stovetop or even in an air fryer. I prefer the air fryer because clean up is easy and it’s just overall better in my opinion. However, the stovetop version will give the chicken a nicer crisp than the air fryer. You just have to be careful not to burn.
In a large skillet, heat ½ cup avocado oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Carefully add the chicken. Cook on one side for 4 minutes or so, then carefully turn over and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown on both sides (you may need to cook in batches. Be sure not to crowd)
Load the coated chicken into the air fryer basket and spray the coated chicken with olive oil cooking. Cook for 6 minutes at 390F. Halfway through, flip the chicken carefully and spray with cooking spray and cook for another 6 minutes at 400F.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THIS CRIPSY KETO CHICKEN SCHNITZEL?
- Pound the chicken thinly. Chicken breasts are uneven and quiet thick in some parts. Use a meat mallet to pound and flatten the chicken breasts as much as possible, around 1/4- 1/8 inch thick. This will help them cook evenly and quickly.
- Air Fryer Tip 1: Spray the coated chicken with olive oil cooking spray before cooking and again when you flip them. This will help with them not drying out and also gives the chicken a little extra crisp.
- Air Fryer Tip 2: When flipping halfway through, be very careful when flipping so the coating doesn’t fall off. I use tongs and gently pinch it to flip.
- Stovetop Tip: The oil needs to be hot enough (it should be shimmering but not smoking) so that the chicken will cook well and crisp up. If the oil is not hot enough, the chicken will absorb too much oil (I use quality Avocado Oil, which has a high enough smoke point).
HOW TO SERVE
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Cauliflower Broccoli Ranch Salad
- Cauliflower Mash
- Southern Green Beans
- Veggie “Pasta” Salad
MORE KETO RECIPES TO TRY
SHOP MY CRISPY KETO CHICKEN SCHNITZEL POST
My Crispy Keto Chicken Schnitzel is a super easy recipe that can be whipped up on the stove or air fryer. Super crispy and each chicken breast is only 5 NET carbs! Whole30, Keto, Paleo and Gluten Free.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4″ to 1/8″ thickness
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk, canned unsweetened*
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Lemon wedges
1. Line a cutting board with plastic wrap, place the chicken breast in a single layer on cutting board and cover with plastic wrap (this prevents splatter). Pound each chicken breast with a meat mallet or the back of a heavy saucepan, until 1/4″ to 1/8″ thick.
2. Add the almond flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, parsley, baking soda, xanthan gum and cream of tarter. Mix together with a spoon until combined.
3. Beat the eggs and coconut milk together in a medium bowl.
4. Dip the chicken breast into the egg mixture.
5. Transfer the coated chicken into the almond flour mixture and coat both sides. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
AIR FRYER METHOD: Load the coated chicken into the air fryer basket and spray the coated chicken with olive oil cooking. Cook for 6 minutes at 390F. Halfway through, flip the chicken carefully and spray with cooking spray and cook for another 6 minutes at 400F.
STOVETOP METHOD: In a large skillet, heat ½ cup avocado oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Carefully add the chicken. Cook on one side for 4 minutes or so, then carefully turn over and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown on both sides (you may need to cook in batches. Be sure not to crowd)
4. Squeeze with lemon right before serving and enjoy!
- 5 NET carbs per chicken breast calculated for Air Fryer method
- If you are not dairy free, feel free to sub heavy whipping cream for the coconut milk. It won’t be paleo or Whole30, but still Keto.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Air Fryer/Stovetop
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 490
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 34
- Cholesterol: 175
Keywords: Chicken Schnitzel, Keto, Keto Chicken Recipes, Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free